If you are finding some difficulty in setting up the GH5 or GH5-S for HDMI output compatibility, please reveiw the following hints ...
- For the GH5 to have access to 60p video, the camera must be in NTSC (59.94 frequency) mode.
- To get the GH5 to output a 10bit 4:2:2 4KUHD60p signal, you must do the following:
- INTERNAL "Rec Quality" is set to 8Bit 4K 150M 60p. This setting can be found under the "Motion Picture Menu."
- "HDMI Rec Output" is set to 10Bit 4:2:2. This setting can also be found under the "Motion Picture Menu."
If either of these settings is not correct, the camera will not output the best quality 10Bit 4:2:2 4kUHD at 60p over HDMI. This is noted at the bottom of page 68 in the GH5 manual.
Another important item needed is a high quality HDMI cable that is capable of handling the bandwidth of a 10Bit 4K60p signal. These cables are generally labeled "2.0a" (though not every 2.0a cable is made well enough to work properly).
- 4Kp60 compatible HDMI Cables are available from Atomos at retail partners, under item numbers ATOM4K60C5, and ATOM4K60C6.
- If the HDMI cable that is being used is not good enough, you will experience signal dropouts and breaks in your recording. An Intermittent connection between the camera and recorder when using a 4K60p output, is almost always caused by using a cable that can not handle the full signal bandwidth.
You can find a setup video for the GH5 and an Atomos recorder at the following link: https://vimeo.com/211830521 (Setup begins at 1:23)
Note: To keep all of the 10Bit data, you can record in the following codec formats...
Apple ProRes HQ
Apple ProRes 422
Apple ProRes LT
Avid DNxHR HQX (4k)
Avid DNxHD 220x (HD)
* (All other available Avid DNx Codecs are 8Bit, DNxHD 36 is a Proxy codec)
The note on the german GH5 detailed manual is on top of page 189.
On bottom on Page 188 its also mentioned that only creative video mode outputs 10bit. All other modes, output 8bit. (of course not if you set a custom mode to creative video mode).
Too bad Panasonic hasn't fixed it's firmware. Keeps dropping frames when in 10bit 422 for the GH5.
Does the 10bit output only work in NTSC or does it work in PAL too?
4K 50fps 10 bit?
I had the same problem, dropping frames all the time. I bought a new and expensive cable (as stated above in this article), I tried different settings, nothing helped. It was fine in 30p, but not in 60p.
I was using the AtomX ssd mini, and the problem was solved after formatting the disk WITH the secure erase checkbox on. Just formatting was not enough. After this everything just worked fine. Please add this to your article.
Please sign in to leave a comment.