Every monitor in the field and the editing suite naturally drifts in color over time. Atomos have partnered with the leader in calibration technology, Calibrite, to open up professional display calibration to all filmmakers using our products.
Atomos Products compatible with the latest Atomos Calibrator build
- Ninja V+
- Ninja V
- Ninja Inferno
- Shogun 7
- Shogun Inferno
- Shogun Studio 2
- Shinobi 7
- Shinobi HDMI
- Shinobi SDI
- Sumo 19
- Neon 24
- Neon 17
- A compatible Atomos device
- The latest version of the Atomos Calibrator Software.
- A Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro or ColorChecker Display Plus (Formerly X-Rite i1 Display Pro or i1 Display Pro Plus – These will work just fine too)
- An Atomos USB to Serial Calibration cable
- ATOMCAB004 (USB-A – 2m length)
- ATOMCAB018 (USB-C – 33cm length)
- A PC or Mac running a recent version of Windows or macOS
The Calibration Procedure
- Before you start, power up your Atomos Product and leave it running for at least 30 minutes for an optimal calibration result.
- In the meantime, download the latest Atomos Calibrator version from our website: https://www.atomos.com/calibration
- Unpack the ZIP file and install the Atomos Calibrator software.
- Connect the ColorChecker Display Pro (or Plus) to your computer via USB.
- Connect the 2.5mm jack of the USB to Serial cable to the LANC/Remote port of your Atomos device. After that, plug the USB connector into your Windows PC or Mac.
- Open the Atomos Calibrator software.
- Rotate the protective cover of the ColorChecker Display Pro (or Plus) to reveal the lens. Place the ColorChecker in the center of the LCD of your Atomos device and make sure that it doesn't move during the calibration process. The foam seal around the sensor must sit flat on the LCD to ensure that no light can enter.
- In the Atomos Calibrator software, press Detect.
- After your device is detected, press Calibrate to initiate the calibration process.
- A pop-up will appear asking if your device has been powered on for 30 minutes. Click yes to proceed.
- Once initiated, the Status will reflect the progress of the calibration.
- After the Calibrator software went through all of the necessary steps, a "Calibration Complete" message will appear. Press OK to complete the calibration.
Note: The calibration procedure is identical across all recent builds on both Mac and Windows. The only differences between the versions are the UI design and the list of supported devices.
If the Calibrator App doesn't detect your product
- Check if the ccProfiler (formerly i1 Profiler for X-Rite branded devices) app is running in the background. You can calibrate computer monitors with your ColorChecker using this software. However, there can't be two applications accessing a single ColorChecker at the same time, so it needs to be closed before you can go ahead and calibrate your Atomos product.
- If you use a Ninja V, Ninja V+, or Shinobi 7, ensure to set the Remote mode in the Input menu to Calibration/LANC. If it's set to Camera controls, the Calibrator app will not be able to detect your product.
- If you've connected the calibration cable to your PC/Mac via a Dock/Dongle and the Calibrator software can't detect your Atomos product, try plugging the calibration cable directly into the computer.
- Make sure that you follow the connection instructions. You need to connect your calibration cable and ColorChecker to your PC/Mac first before launching the Atomos Calibrator software.
Calibrating Legacy Products
None of the products listed at the top of the article can be calibrated with the now discontinued Atomos Spyder Calibrator, and certain legacy products aren't compatible with the latest version of the Atomos Calibrator software either.
However, you can still calibrate those legacy products with the Spyder and ColorChecker Display Pro or ColorChecker Display Plus (Formerly X-Rite i1 Display Pro or i1 Display Pro Plus) by using an older version of the Atomos Calibrator software. These products are supported in version 1.5:
- Ninja Inferno
- Ninja Flame
- Ninja Assassin
- Ninja Blade
- Samurai Blade
- Shogun Inferno
- Shogun Flame
- Shogun Studio
Note: Atomos Calibrator 1.5 runs on all recent iterations of Windows. However, since the Mac version is 32-Bit software, it's not compatible with the latest releases of macOS. To install Atomos Calibrator 1.5, your Mac needs to be on Mojave or an earlier version.
Download Atomos Calibrator 1.5 from the attachment section below.